Last Updated on October 10, 2023 by assistant
As we have introduced the main processing of vacuum casting, it is an ideal method of processing to get low-volume plastic parts fabrication. There are increasingly companies who choose vacuum casting to make low-volume plastic components. At the same time, vacuum casting has some limitations you may not know. Thus, we would like to talk about wthe advantages and disadvantages of vacuum casting.
Advantages of vacuum casting:
- The cost of making vacuum casting parts is lower. The common materials for vacuum casting are silicones and rubbers, which is much cheaper than metals. Meanwhile, during the processing of it, we don’t cut any extra material to create plastic components while it works by filling the liquid plastic materials into the mold.
- The vacuum casting parts get a smooth surface. The CNC machined and 3D printed parts are of a rough surface. That’s why we need to spend much time in polishing these machined parts. At the same time, the parts have already got the smooth surface before being taken out of the vacuum casting mold.
- The production circle of vacuum casting is shorter. Every mold can be reused for 25 pieces of plastic compoents in half a month. The creation of vacuum casting mold can be made within one day while we can create more than 10+ mold each day while it needs much time to create molds if we choose injection molding and die casting. That’s why we can create the plastic components within a short period.
Disadvantages of Vacuum Casting:
- The finished vacuum cating parts are of low repeatability. The silicone has a certain shrinkage ragte. It may cause the vacuum casting parts of less accuracy. So, if you are willing to creat high-precision plastic parts, vacuum casting won’t be a top-list choice.
- The mold of vacuum casting has a short lifespan. Each mold can only be reused for 25 pieces. Over 25 pieces, vacuum casting parts will not be accurate.
What factors you need to consider when choosing vacuum casting for your project?
- For low-volume or large volume production?
- For high-precision parts?
- For a complicated structure?
Before you starting the project, you can turn the experienced manufacturers for help. They can give a complete guide on the vacuum casting project.
Ruitai Mold is also an expert in the field of vacuum casting. If you get any interest, you can send us e-mail anytime: email@example.com