Last Updated on October 10, 2023 by assistant
A common challenge in injection molding projects is the consistency of plastic parts. Injection molding is a process in which thermoplastic material is melted and then pressed into a mold.
Generally speaking, this kind of project is usually for mass production, if there is any color inconsistency, it may lead to the failure of the whole project. This article will specifically explain the color consistency in injection molding.
Color Consistency in Injection Molding:
1. Different batches of raw materials. Because injection molding projects generally require the use of a large amount of plastic raw materials, it is necessary to purchase raw materials in advance.
If the raw materials are purchased from different raw material suppliers, the parts processed before and after the same project are very likely to have color difference problems. So generally speaking, it is best to use the same batch of raw materials from the same supplier in the same injection molding project.
2. Processing conditions. If the temperature is too high during processing, it is easy to cause discoloration of the polymer; if the temperature is too low, the plastic may not be melted evenly, and various streaks will appear in the product.
3. Impurities in raw materials. If the raw material is contaminated by other impurities before the injection molding process, it will cause a color difference in the finished product.
Three Methods to Deal with the Color Consistency:
Measuring the color difference of parts is an important link in the injection molding process. Injection molding products can usually be sold directly to the market.
Generally, before starting production, the customer will provide the supplier with the specific Pantone color number to ensure the color consistency of the processed parts.
Here are three methods commonly used to ensure consistent color in injection molded parts:
1. Spectrophotometer. By using this tool, you can directly measure the degree of light absorption of the product, because different materials have different degrees of light absorption, which may affect the final presentation of the product during processing.
2. Samples. Customers can send samples to suppliers directly before processing. In the process of mold trial in the early stage, the color comparison can be directly carried out by comparing the products and samples processed in the early stage.
3. Detection. Through the random sampling method, use specific color difference detection tools to detect injection molded products.
How to Control the Color Difference of Injection Molded Parts?
1. High-quality raw material.
Only by ensuring that the raw materials used are high-quality thermoplastic materials and materials can high-realization and high-quality injection molded parts be produced.
2. Adjust the mold in time.
The temperature inside the mold has some influence on the final appearance of the part. Only when the temperature is adjusted and adjusted, can the plastic parts not be discolored or dimmed.
If the model maker is inexperienced, it is easy to guarantee the color difference and quality of the parts.
Ruitai’s Custom Injection Molding Service
Ruitai offers custom injection molding service from material selection, quality checking, molding to packaging. Contact us here!